Help for Households discounts and offers
- Blue Light Card: provides a range of discounts online and in store for NHS, emergency services, social care sector and armed forces colleagues who purchase a Blue Light Card. Their website provides further information.
- Asda: Asda is offering 10% discount in store for Blue Light card holders.
- Money Saving Expert: details a number of health and care worker staff discounts, some of which do not require a Blue Light Card.
- Fleet Home Electronics: their scheme, in partnership with Curry’s, enables public sector staff to order the latest technology and spread the cost over 12 or 24 months. Find out more on their website.
- Health Service Discounts: offers discounts, vouchers and cashback for NHS and healthcare workers. You can join for free on their website.
- Social Care Discounts: Discounts for carers is a benefit provider for carers and is also available to their families and any retired carers. You can join for free on their website. The Inspired to Care webpage also have a range of discounts available to care staff.
- Wheels to Work Silverstone: Rent a scooter to get where you need to be! There are special offers available to NHS and Social Care staff working in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland and you may also be eligible for a grant to cover some or all of the costs.
You can find more information about the scheme on their website and also apply to receive a quote for weekly hire (don’t forget to state on your application form you are a health or social care worker and the name of the health or social care organisation/ company that you work for within Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland). Visit Downoad the poster here.
Community Grocery Initiatives
- Community Fridge Network: works to cut food waste and make fresh food available to communities around the UK. Community Fridges share surplus food for free, usually stocked by local businesses sharing surplus food, fresh produce from local gardeners and food given by households. You can find a fridge near you on their website.
- Too Good To Go app: enables customers to rescue unsold food from shops and restaurants to save it from going to waste. You can buy a ‘Magic Bag’ of food at a reduced price via the app and pick it up at the set collection time.
- OLIO: connects neighbours with each other and with local businesses so surplus food can be shared.
- Company Shop and Community Shop: buy food at deeply discounted prices, join a cook club – kids eat free and you can join in other programmes and activities. Apply for your free membership
- Love Food, Hate waste: There are six community kitchens in Leicestershire helping people to not only reduce food waste but also save money. Learn more about the Love Food Hate Waste programme.
- Your Local Pantry: https://www.yourlocalpantry.co.uk/
Budget Cooking Ideas
- Cooking on a Bootstrap: Jack Monroe’s website is packed with simple, budget recipes to help you eat well with low cost ingredients.
- Miguel Barclay: Barclay is the author of several One Pound Meal books that present one person recipes costing just £1. His recipes can help you make tasty food on a budget.
- British Dietetic Association (BDA): the BDA’s Eat well, spend less: food fact sheet offers tips on how to eat healthily and keep costs down.